The Pothagul Vihara is, as its name implies, a library and a monastery complex. It is one of the oldest in Sri Lanka. The word “bookgul” literally translates as a storage area. It was built under the aegis of Parakramabahu of Polonnaruwa (AD 1153-1185). It was later renovated under the auspices of his wife, Queen Chandravathi.
The layout of the complex is laid on a foundation. In the center of the inner square is a rounded structure. This is probably the main area of book storage. It is made entirely of brick and covers a fairly large area within its confines.
The roof of the Pothgul temple is made of the same materials or tiles. But much of the building has collapsed. There are four small stupas at the corners around the circular building. There are brick structures and a stall for the monks who lived here. This is a small building with only a few stone pillars and a fairly high stone foundation. A striped roof might have helped.The Pothgul temple is much closer to the ancient temples found in Cambodia.