Kumara Pond is located adjacent to the Council of King Parakramabahu in the Polonnaruwa District of the North Central Province of Sri Lanka. According to Mahawansa, this pond was built by King Parakramabahu the Great (1153 – 1186 A.D.). According to archaeologists this should be the Pond of Seela Pokharani mentioned in Mahavansa. The pond is located below the complex so that the pond can be easily drained. They believe that the pond belongs to the royal garden of King prakramabhahu, the great king of Nandana Uyana.
The Kumara Pond is rectangular. The nearby canal was a source of water for this pond and was a used outlets to drain off the used water. The water from the two dragon’s mouths on either side of the staircase was supplied to the pool. It is rectangular and has a lotus in the middle.