Sri Lanka is the only country in the world to recall the Dutch period by opening a Dutch period museum (1656-1796). This two-storied building, depicting the elements of a 17th-century Dutch urban house, was built by Dutch Governor of Sri Lanka Thomas Van Rey from 1692 to 1697 as his official residence.
During the British period, the building was used as many purposes. It was a teacher training college and was an institution for clergy instruction from 1696 to 1796. It was once the residence of Colonel Count August Carl Friedrich von Ransov (1759 – 1844). It was operated under the supervision of supervisors and was funded by the Dutch East India Company. It was also used as a hospital. It became a barracks in the second half of the 1800s and was used by the British as a police training school. In 1932 it was converted into a Petta Post Office. The renovation of the building began in 1977 with the financial support of the Netherlands government and was completed in 1981. The museum was opened to the public in 1982.
Displays Dutch heritage with antiquities including furniture, ceramics, coins and weapons, depicting various aspects of contemporary life and culture.. The antiquities of the Dutch Museum and its history spread throughout its halls make it a great attraction for locals and tourists alike.