National Museum of Colombo

Sharing is caring!

colombo - national museum

National Museum of Colombo, also known as the Sri Lanka National Museum. It is the largest museum in Sri Lanka. The Colombo museum was established on 1 January 1877, by Sir William Henry Gregory. The architect of J.G. Smither(1833-1910) was able to prepare plans for a new structure based on Italian architecture style. It’s maintained by the department of national museums, Sri Lanka.

The national museum has 4 main divisions. Cultural, Science, general services and national museum library. The national museum library established on the 1st of January in 1877. The library holding special collections.

  1. Private collection of late Mr. H.C.P
  2. Private collection of Mr. Hugh Nevil Bell
  3. Private collection of palm manuscripts of Dr. W.A.De silva
  4. Henry Blake’s collection of palm leaf donated by Sir Solomon Dias Bandaranayake
  5. Kalukodayawe Pannasekara maha Thero’s collection of Sinhala periodicals & newspapers

The museum has a copy of the state of Tara, the crown jewels and the throne of the last king of Kandy, Heiyantuduwa Raja(elephant) skeleton, etc. Ground floor galleries are arranged in historical sequence.

 

Location            : Sir Marcus Fernando Mw, Colombo 7

Timings             : Everyday  9.00 a.m. – 5.00 p.m. (Except public holidays)

Entrance Fees   :

Local                                                              Foreign

Child – Rs.50.00                                           Child – Rs.600.00

Adult – Rs.100.00                                        Adult – Rs.1200.00